Well, last time I didn't blog too much so I've decide to start a new cycle. It's the best way to force myself to post more frequently. One of the subjects on top of my head was continuous integration so there we are. The other reason is that I will have a presentation on that subject on vBug meeting in Bristol in May and this will be good exercise for me.
I believe that most of you know already what continuous integration is, so I think I can skip this and do some real work. If you need to learn about the subject, start from Google and Continuous Integration by Martin Fowler.
Let us go to plan. As an example I will use very simple web application with some extra features that will require unit testing. In the next parts of the cycle I would like to show:
- Setting build server with basic build using CruiseControl.NET, Subversion and MSBuild.
- Preparing very first build script.
- Setting up version and build number in application assembly.
- Deployment built application to the test site.
- Automated testing and code coverage analysis.
- Static analysis using FxCop.
- Generating documentation from code.
- Email notification after build.
- Creating own tasks for MSBuild.
- Integration with Mantis bug tracking system.
I do think it will take me 6 to 10 posts in next two months. First post of the cycle should be on line to end of the week.
Let me know if there is something you want me to add.
03-02-2007 10:27 AM